General Education Diploma
What is the General Education Diploma Certificate?
It consists of a scientific grade conferred by the Ministry of Education in Oman to students passing the 12th grade successfully.
The first semester: starts in the first week of September and ends with the completion of the first semester final exams prepared by the Ministry.
The second semester: Generally, starts on February and ends with the completion of the second semester final exams prepared by the Ministry.
(The Ministry of Education specifies the examination dates of all subjects)
Subjects taken by 11the and 12th classes’ students
Nine (9) subjects should be successfully passed by the student in order to obtain The General Education Diploma Certificate, six of these subjects are compulsory and three of them are optional (to be selected during the 11th class).
Compulsory subjects: 30% of the grade refers to continuous assessment by the school and 70% to the written exam conducted by the Ministry:
Islamic education, Arabic language, English language, math, on subject of science (biology, physics, chemistry), and social studies
Optional subjects: the student may choose three subjects among the following ones:
Information an Telecommunication Technology, School Sports (compulsory for boys), Fine Arts ( for girls only), chemistry, physics, biology and business studies
Information and Telecommunication Technology: 100 grade (to be given by the school) 70% of it for continuous assessment and 30% for final exam.
School Sports: 100 grade (to be given by the school) 70% of it for continuous assessment and 30% for final exam.
Fine Arts: 100 grade (to be given by the school) 70% of it for continuous assessment and 30% for final exam.
Business Studies: 100 grade (to be given by the school) 60% of it for continuous assessment and 40% for final exam.
English literature: 30% for continuous assessment and 70% for the writing exam conducted by the Ministry at the end of each semester.
- The 11th grade students may change the optional subjects within the first two weeks at the beginning of the school year.
- The 12th grade students may not substitute any subject of the optional subjects with a scientific subject during the first and second semesters, nor substitute any other subject with another scientific subject due to any difficulty faced in following the program.
- Any student failing to pass one or more subjects in the first session shall be entitled to sit for the second session as specified by the Ministry of Education.
- CHOOSING THE RIGHT PROGRAMME
COMPULSORY SUBJECTS ENTERED FOR GEERAL EDUCATION DIPLOMA
Arabic, English, Islamic Education, Mathematics, Social Studies,
One Science (From the option bloks).
Physical Education (Compulsory for the boys and optional for girls).
Students select 3 options from the following subjects:
- Business Studies
- Physics Education
- English Literature (Only for grades 11 & 12 Girls)